Genetically speaking, only about 30 percent of our health and wellness is controlled by our genes. The rest… 70 percent… is determined by our lifestyle. Understanding this fact makes it more difficult for us to use the excuse of genetics as the reason for our overall health and our weight. In addition, Doctors Kahn and Rowe who authored the book, Successful Aging, seem to have concluded that barring accidents, “normal, healthy individuals” are generally considered to have approximately 70 percent control over their longevity, as well! Bottom line… our lifestyle including food and drink choices, exercise level, occupation, etc… will also play a role in determining how long we live.
So, how will this information affect individuals who suffer with fibromyalgia? It’s a debilitating autoimmune disease which can go undiagnosed and untreated for months or even years. Most people with the syndrome are women, who find themselves in situations where they want to have useful, productive and active lives, but are held back by the chronic fatigue and pain. Sufferers also complain about dozens of other disabling symptoms including depression, anxiety, and mental confusion… called brain-fog. Some sufferers may also develop suicidal tendencies.
Many fibromyalgia patients find relief in prescription drugs, while others include alternative therapies like acupuncture and/or specialized forms of massage to relieve their painful “trigger points.” Located above the waist in the neck, shoulders, upper back and chest, and below the waist in the feet, legs, hips and buttocks, these “trigger points” are centers of pain which fibromyalgia sufferers often describe as deep aching, stabbing, shooting, and radiating… that over-the-counter pain medications just won’t touch!
So what are some of the fibromyalgia natural treatments that a sufferer can utilize? Although there is no known cure for fibromyalgia, the underlying health conditions may be improved and the symptoms reduced or even eliminated by adding some fibromyalgia natural treatments to your lifestyle.
1) Starting a new exercise plan should always be done gradually and carefully. The general rule of thumb is “do just what you are comfortable with, and stop.” A program of regular stretching and targeted exercise started slowly, with repetitions gradually increasing over time, may provide some relief for many fibromyalgia sufferers.
2) Physical therapists and personal trainers may be helpful in developing an exercise plan for fibromyalgia sufferers, and a knowledgeable rheumatologist can play a crucial role in helping patients to manage their symptoms.
3) But, it’s the individual’s overall lifestyle decisions that will make the greatest difference in the life of a fibromyalgia sufferer, including avoidance of the following: stressful situations, smoking, foods with allergens and toxins like preservatives, pesticides, and food dyes. Maintaining a healthy weight can also go a long way in helping fibromyalgia sufferers to control their symptoms.
4) For fibromyalgia sufferers, nutrition is particularly critical. No one knows the specific cause of the condition, but it’s widely accepted that a good diet complete with vitamins, minerals and amino acids… protein’s building blocks which support the muscles, nerves and brain… can have a positive effect on controlling symptoms. These nutritional-fibromyalgia natural treatments, reduce fibromyalgia flare ups by giving the body what it needs to heal itself. The chronic pain and fatigue, and even the difficulty sleeping and mental fog, may be greatly reduced or even eliminated.
Proper Nutrition – A Fibromyalgia Natural Treatment For Sufferers…
The nutritional value of our food supply today, both plant- and animal-based, is much lower than it was even twenty years ago, due to the depletion of nutrients in the soil. The most productive farmland is not allowed to recover between crops, so some nutrients are manually added to the land. The result, as intended, is increased crop yield to feed a growing population, but unfortunately, nutritional quality is sacrificed in the process. To make up for these recognized nutritional deficiencies in the food supply, the American Medical Association and others in the medical and scientific communities have become advocates of nutritional supplements in the natural treatment of illnesses like fibromyalgia. For information on natural treatments for fibromyalgia, contact me now by clicking on one of the links below.
Find out how to survive fibromyalgia!
By Carol Ryland
Source by Carol Ryland